In China, they use a set of abbreviations along with letters and numbers to name various visa types. For example, some of the visas used in the country are: 

1. Z Visa:

The Z work visa in China is for workers planning to stay in the country for more than six months.

2. X1/2 Visa:

This visa is applicable for students. The X1 is relevant for people planning to stay for more than 180 days, while X2 means the duration is less than 180 days.

3. J1/2 Visa:

This visa is issued to foreign journalists to stay for a specific duration in the country.

 4. M Visa:

This is a visa for business owners that allows a stay of 30 to 60 days.

5. F Visa:

This visa is issued to exchange students, study tours, or visitors for a duration of 30 to 60 days.


Recently, China has acquired a more transparent and active process for foreign workers, which has further led to an increase in work permit applications in the country. The visa process is now more streamlined, and one can apply now with China work permit online application. However, the employers planning to hire foreign employees have to abide by the local laws and regulations for hiring employees outside the country. 

The basic requirements that an employee has to meet for getting a China work visa are:  

You have to be at least 18 years old with good health.

You must have a clear criminal record.

You should have a specified employer.

You should possess the required skills and work experience that meets the ▣ employer’s job requirements.

You should have a valid passport and possess all the required travel documents.


Before applying for the China work visa (Z-visa), you need to have an official letter (Notification letter) from the Chinese authorities issued as proof that you are approved to work in China.

For the notification letter, one has to apply at the local Labour Bureau. This process takes at least 3-4 weeks.

Now you can apply for a work permit in China for foreigners at the Chinese embassy located in your home country.

Post getting a Z-visa, you will be approved to enter China. Once you enter China, you have to take a medical examination and register your residence at the local police station.

The last two steps involve replacing Z-visa with a working-purpose residence permit and applying for a Work Permit.


The fees for the application and the issuance of a China work visa may differ according to your home country. It can cost approximately 1,000 to 1,500 CNY. The China work permit fees may also vary according to how fast you want it to be processed and whether you wish to apply in person or via mail.


These are some of the highest paying jobs in China:
Advanced Financial Controller.
General Manager and Supervisor.
Senior Management of Hotels.
Loan Officer.
Foreign Bank Executive.
Mortgage Broker.
Manufacturing Director.
TV Stars.
The Z visa allows only single-time entry. After arriving in China, one has to register them to the designated police station as required by the law within 30 days. Once the residence permit is issued, one will be allowed to have multiple entries.
The family members of Z visa or X1 visa holders will be required to apply for the S1 visa. In Addition, a copy of the main applicant’s supporting paperwork like the Invitation Letter of Duly Authorized Unit and Working Permit along with Admission Notice and Original proof of Kinship will be required.
No. Once entered into China, one cannot change the type of visa. Instead, you have to exit the country and apply for a new visa.
No. To be eligible for working in China, you will require a China work visa (Z-visa) authorized by the Chinese authorities.
▣ An original copy of the Diploma (a certificate issued by an educational institution on completion of a course of study) has to be submitted along with an authenticated and legalized copy
▣ An original copy of the Police Clearance Certificate that is authenticated and legalized
▣ A copy of work experience certificate which justifies at least 24 months of experience
▣ A valid CV
▣ A Labor contract
▣ A Medical Report
▣ A Police Registration form of residence
▣ A business license along with a certificate of approval
▣ A passport of the legal representative
▣ An authorized company stamp